Join and Support
Modern Fuel has an excellent exhibition history providing artists from across the country the opportunity to exhibit their work in a supportive and professional environment.
—Jennifer Carvahlo, artist, exhibited at Modern Fuel in 2016
Make a Donation
Support from the regional community has been essential for our continued operations since 1977. Financial contributions are especially appreciated and go a long way toward keeping our public programs affordable for everyone. As a registered charity with the Canada Revenue Agency we can provide a tax receipt for your gift above $20. Use the link below and donate now through Canada Helps. Thanks to all our generous donors!
The Modern Fuel Artist Run Center was an excellent space to engage with as an emerging artist. Michael DiRisio and the entire staff at Modern Fuel was very helpful in facilitating an exhibition space to show my work alongside other artists throughout Ontario. My experience with Modern Fuel has been very meaningful in allowing me to see the way my practice can sit alongside artists whose work challenges my own work in exciting and complex ways. I thank Modern Fuel for this wonderful experience.
—Jagdeep Raina, artist, exhibited at Modern Fuel in 2016
Become a Member
Memberships help to sustain our non-profit programs and strengthen our community capacity. We offer various membership options, which are valid for one year upon purchase. You don't need to be an 'artist' to join; anyone can become a member!
Modern Fuel Artist Run Center offers communication between the arts community and elsewhere through its excellent programming including not only exhibitions but also through a regular publication, a resource center, experimental music and performance, rental equipment with guidance on use of equipment, and as a site of residencies, research and production. I particularly enjoy the monthly artist talks where artists and the general public exchange ideas and feedback and stay informed on the many ways that the arts impact our lives in positive ways.
—Aida Sulcs, artist and member of Modern Fuel since its inception as Kingston Artists' Association Inc. in 1977
Internships and Co-op Placements
Internships provide a focused opportunity for students to experience multiple facets of the nonprofit contemporary arts environment. Modern Fuel has partnerships with Queen's University and St. Lawrence College to make these opportunities possible for upper-year students. If interested, please contact email@example.com to find out more about student placements at Modern Fuel well in advance of your academic term. Please note that Modern Fuel does not offer internships during the summer months.
Working at modern fuel was one of the best experiences ever. Not only is it an interesting place to work, but it is such a fun and community based environment. Every day it seems we were think of new ways to connect with the Kingston community. Modern Fuel is one of the best work environments I've worked in!
—Madison Lalonde, Gallery Assistant, 2015
Modern Fuel is currently seeking dedicated, enthusiastic volunteers for the following opportunities:
- Fundraising: Join a working group to help coordinate our annual fundraising initiatives, the Members' Show and Sale (Nov/Dec) and the Book Sale (Mar/Apr)
- Membership, Outreach and Volunteer Engagement (MOVE) Committee: Assist in developing membership engagement activities and help to implement creative outreach strategies. Meets once monthly for 1-2 hours.
- Charity Bingo: Bingo accounts for a large percentage of the funds that we use for gallery operations. Shifts occur two to four evenings per month and two volunteers are needed for each shift. No experience necessary, training provided.
- Photographer: Document events such as opening receptions, artist talks, and performances; edit photos and send to Modern Fuel; photo credits and small honorarium will be provided
- Opening Reception Coordinator: Assist with hosting event by greeting guests, supervise hospitality service, monitor accessibility and safety, record number of visitors
- Exhibition Installation: Assist Artistic Director and artist(s) with exhibition installation/de-installation; Handling/packing art, drywall repairs, painting, clean-up. Must be able to lift 20 lbs, previous art handling experience is beneficial