New Media Workspace
The New Media Workspace was created in 2002. Prior to this innovation, Kingston did not have significant infrastructure for independent media production, despite a small community of film-makers and producers. This a noteworthy omission considering that other similar sized communities have long maintained infrastructure for production support. In our first year, our activities were primarily concerned with assisting local artists in documenting and archiving their work.
In 2003 we were able to acquire the first of our base equipment needs through a matching-grant from Cultural Spaces Canada (Canadian Heritage) and the Davies Charitable Foundation, but it was the activities supported in 2004 and 2005 by the Healthy Community Fund which afforded the NMW its most impressive achievements to date including a media camp, workshops and the acquisition of important new media equipment. These accomplishments were guided by project staff with the New Media Committee, a member-led advisory group for the Workspace.
Click Here to visit Our Vimeo Page to see some work that we have done.
Click Here to check out our Video section for helpful hints on Video Cameras, Editing Software and more!
Click Here to check out our Application section for helpful hints on Photoshop, inDesign, illustrator and other applications we have available.
New Equipment Rental Rates (effective March 22, 2012)
Modern Fuel's New Media Workspace tries to make equipment available for rental to a wide array of individuals, from professionals to students. On account of this, we have a flexible rental rate. Please inquire with your budget and we will help to work within it.
Panasonic HPX-170 HD
1/3" 3 Chip HD (1080P 30 Frames/sec) camcorder that stores footage to 32 gig P2 card
Daily $75 Weekend $200
Panasonic DVX 100AP
3 Chip, progressive SD camcorder (24P) shoots to MiniD tape.
Daily $40 Weekend $100
Panasonic AMQ63 tape ($8 each) (This is the only tape to use in this camera)
Eos Rebel T3 1100D DSLR
18-55mm Lens , 12 megapixel still,6400 ISO, shoots 720P HD 25/30 frame, Mov (mpeg4) to a 8 and 16 gig SD cards. HDMI out.
Daily $25 Weekend $75
Sanyo VPC TH1
720 p in H.264 & MPEG-4, ISO 1600, X30 Optical Zoom.
Daily $15 Weekend $40
A Manfrotto 501HDV/525MVB Tripod
can be rented with any above camera
Daily $5 Weekend $15
Lowel DV Creator 55 Lighting Kit
500W Rifa Softlight, 500W Focusable Omni-light, 250W Focusable Prolight & 750 W Broad Throw Tota-light with stands, barn doors, umbrella & gels
Daily $25 Weekend $75
Field Audio Kit
Sony MD 7506 Headphones, Rolls MX422 Field Mixer, Azden SGM-2 Shotgun Mic with shock mount & XLR Cables for boom or camcorder. K&M Boom Pole
Daily $20Weekend $50
AKG (wireless Lav)
Daily$15 Weekend $40
2.5Ghz i5 Imac with Final Cut Pro X (during Gallery Hours.) Dual Monitors.
20 Hours Free with Membership. $5 per hour
- Weekend Rate is based on pick up Friday or Saturday and return Tuesday.
- Equipment is only available for rental to Modern Fuel members ($40 a year, $25 Students)
- In order to rent, members are required to take an introductory workshop or demonstrate working knowledge of the equipment.
- All rentals must be prepaid and require a safety deposit . A credit card may be required. Members must sign an equipment rental contract (once) and then sign out on a case by case basis before renting any equipment. All rentals subject to approval by Modern Fuel staff
- Late, damaged or dirty equipment will result in forfeiture of some or all of the safety deposit and may incur additional charges which must be paid or no further rental is possible
Contact Modern Fuel for more information (613) 548-4883