Administrative Director Position
MODERN FUEL ARTIST-RUN CENTRE KINGSTON, ONTARIO is accepting applications for its:
DEADLINE: July 11th 2008
Modern Fuel Artist-Run Centre is seeking a motivated and organized individual for the contract position of Administrative Director (one year renewable contract).
Modern Fuel Artist-Run Centre is a non-profit organization facilitating the presentation, interpretation, and production of contemporary visual, time-based and interdisciplinary arts. Modern Fuel supports innovation and experimentation, and is committed to the education of interested publics and the diversification of its audiences. Modern Fuel is located downtown Kingston, 21a Queen Street.
This position is a renewable, 12-month contract, offers 25 hours per week at an entry-level starting wage, requires occasional evenings and Saturdays, and offers full health and dental benefits.
This position works in collaboration with the Artistic Director, and is supervised by the Board of Directors. The Administrative Director is also expected to work closely with volunteers, student placements, and other individuals and groups in the local arts communities.
Nature and Scope of Position
This position is the key service liaison with members and the general public and provides communication and administration support to all staff and volunteers at Modern Fuel.
The Administrative Director’s principle duties include:
- Day-to-day operation of the centre, including staffing, bookkeeping, budget and cash flow management (along with the Treasurer), bill and fee payments.
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of exhibition openings, special events and projects.
- Researching funding and grant opportunities, and preparing grant applications in conjunction with the Artistic Director.
- Maintaining and developing databases of volunteers.
- Recruiting new members and volunteers.
- Assisting with the implementation of the organization’s Strategic Plan, along with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors.
- Overseeing all print and electronic member communications.
- Attending to all public inquiries.
The Administrative Director is responsible for the distribution of all information relating to Modern Fuel’s programs, including updating Modern Fuel’s website, distributing email and facebook announcements and circulating printed posters and flyers.
This entry-level position also provides administrative, gallery and studio support as needed, including office coordination and cleaning, ordering of supplies, filing, answering public inquiries about Modern Fuel, its activities and exhibitions, arranging catering and volunteers for openings and events, and similar duties as requested.
The Administrative Director has regular in-person, telephone, email and written contact with members, volunteers, the general public, artists and other cultural organizations. This also includes educating the general public on the conceptual and technical basis of exhibited artworks.
The ideal candidate has:
- An interest in contemporary art practices and artist-run culture, with a completed undergraduate relevant degree or at least 3 years of field experience.
- Superior English oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills with an ability to multi-task. Attention to detail is a must.
- The ability to work cooperatively in an open-concept office, as well as work independently and in a self-directed manner when necessary.
- The ability to deal with diverse public audiences. Must be outgoing, friendly and tactful with a demonstrated commitment to service excellence.
- The ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong computer skills.
Please submit a curriculum vitae and a letter of interest to:
Modern Fuel Artist Run Centre
21a Queen Street
Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7K 1A1
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Modern Fuel is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted during the week of July 14th.
All applications must be received at Modern Fuel by Friday July 11th 2008 at 5:00 p.m.
The successful candidate will start mid-August, 2008, so as to participate in a training period, and the contract will begin September 1, 2008